Monday, October 17, 2011

Live and Learn

How long do two healthy, vital humans have to be sick?  How much spew and snot can come from a person's head?  AND, where does it come from and where is it stored?  How much time can you spend in a prone position before you do, literally, grow a root in to a piece of furniture?

This has been our reality since we've been home from Scotland.

Got home Tuesday as stated in a previous blog and started to get our lives underway again.  Girls arrive and let the fun begin.  Running around, cooking great meals, etc.  But, why am I so tired?  Why can't I stay up past 8 or 9 at night.  Yeah, we're changing our time zones again but really, it doesn't take this much time.

Then Saturday rolls around.  Hmmmmm, what's that strange feeling in the right side of my face and throat.  Nah, can't be....just tired.  Saturday night and things are getting worse.  The girls are leaving Sunday, and there's football, so I'll just lay on the couch and take it easy.  Which is what I did.

Monday I walked the ridge with Katy and Charli and felt decent though a bit phlegmy.  Had coffee and a visit after and went home to work in the yard a little bit.  "Gordon, how ya feeling?"  "Not 100%".  Hmmmmm

By Monday afternoon I'm realizing what a mistake it was to walk earlier and am feeling worse.  And worse on Tuesday and so is Gordon.  He's a full day behind me in getting sick but, he's a guy.  You know how guys are.  Everything is magnified.  If men had children the planet would be extinct of humans.

By Thursday we are sleeping in separate beds (his snoring, surely not mine!) and I'm making an appointment for me with the doctor.  Within 30 minutes Gordon has called and scheduled the same appointment for himself and we show up and share an exam room.  We are diagnosed with upper respiratory infections and given the 3 day antibiotic super-medicine.  Yay!

So here we are day 5 of our antibiotic intake and although we are still phlegmy, snotty, snorty and irritable, we are feeling better.  We've got a busy Thursday through weekend so we've just got to feel better.  And I need my life back.  Being a couch potato does not suit me. 
The whole point of this blog is to say --  APPRECIATE YOUR HEALTH!  Even having a minor thing like an upper respiratory infection can throw you for a loop and cause you to lose a WHOLE WEEK OF YOUR LIFE.  This is the first time since 2005 that Gordon and I have traveled in the fall without having had a flu shot first.  Lesson learned.

Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment