Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dear Mum - October 1985 , November 1985, July 1986

505 Highland Drive
Danville, California


18/10/85

Dear Mum,

Thanks for the letter which came yesterday. The news is that Steve is coming over on Sunday, has sold his car and packed his job in, and is renting out his house.  I have got him digs with a girl I know in nearby Walnut Creek.   I don't know where he is going to find work not being int he union for the building trades but never mind.

I have almost finished my college course and have sent away for a test date in San Francisco which will be in about 4 weeks.

I spoke to an immigration lawyer who said he could get me a green card in a year if I could find a sponsor so I talked to Laura's husband Brad and he said that he would be willing to help me out.

Else not much to report.  I'll be glad when I start in Real Estate and can get more spare time because I want to play football in the new season.

Last week I met a girl in the pub from of all places Arbroath and I could hardly understand a word she said, there are so many British people here you would not believe it.  I'll be glad to see Steve again although I must say I have little spare time to do the things we used to do right now.   I have got to study for this exam coming up which will be hard.  On Tuesday I have another interview with a Brokerage which is the only one which pays a salary as well as a commission for the first year and I like that idea as it will give me a bit of breathing space while I learn the ropes.  Laura has only been in RE for 18 months and is making a phenomenal amount of money so I think I will be ok.

I was sorry to hear you were unwell and hope you are better.  I got you a tape by Johnny Paycheck and one by the Eagles which you will like.

Thats all for now so goodbye and I will give you a call in the first week of November.

Love,

Gordon

PS:  Can you believe I have not taken a photograph of anything to show you so I am trying to get a hold of some negatives and get them developed for when I come over at Xmas.

By the way, the part of the journey back I fear most is the drive from Prestwick - its murder - I don't want you to make the journey but I can't think of anybody who could pick me up apart from Dougie who would grumble about the cost of petrol these days and wear and tear on the tyres etc.  HaHa.  Maybe you can think of someone or better still get my own car there but I can't think of how you would do it.

So there's something else for you to worry about.

PS.  I can't remember if I told you I lost my wallet with everything in it so it would be handy if you could pick me up a driving license application from the Post Office.

__________________________________________________


11/4/85                                                                                             505 Highland Dr
                                                                                                          Danville, CA

Dear Mum,

Well as you know Steve arrived last week after getting a lot of hastle with immigration officers at Boston.  In fact they only stamped his passport for 5 weeks so he is coming back to Scotland shortly.

After speaking with a lawyer this morning I have decided to come over at Xmas after all.  He assured me that the kind of treatment Steve received is most unusual.  Nobody appears to have any difficulty in San Francisco.

 Apart from that there is not much to report.  I am still waiting for a test date for my exam.

Steve and I are maybe going up to Lake Tahoe this weekend so that should be good fun.  Maybe even try some skiing if there is any snow.

He will also pick me up a Prestwick so that will save you the bother.

So I will write to you again soon.  Hope you and the dog are still ok.

love Gordon.

___________________________________________________


Friday 4:10pm  18th July, 1986

Dear Mum,

At last I have got round to writing.  The last week as been my busiest yet - I was working with 3 buyers - and my new listing came on the market - nothing sold yet!

I am also getting ready to go to Washington, DC on Tuesday.  Sharon and I will be staying there for a couple of days before driving down to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.  It is supposed to be very hot and humid there at this time of year, but I will be very glad to get  away for 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the birthday card.  I spent my 26th birthday in San Francisco.

Karen called me - she is thinking about coming over with her boyfriend sometime in October.

I saw a clip of the British Golf Open being play in Troon, - "gale force winds and driving rain" said the commentator, "better you than me said I".  Unusually cool here for this time of year @ 75 degrees but thats fine with me.  August - September are the warmest months.

Well I look forward to seeing you when you come over.  I have sent you a clip of my new listing as it appears in the book.  Next time your down in Izzy's ask if anybody would like to make an investment.

Love Gordon

Listing was on Malvasia Court in Pleasanton  4 bedroom and 2.5 bath for $229,950

No comments:

Post a Comment