Sunday, November 27, 2011

Letters to Isa - October 29, 1990

Dear Isa,

Gordon said you called the other day and you were concerned about our finances.  Gordon and I think we've pretty much got ourselves covered. It won't be easy, you're right about that but with every one's help, I think we'll be okay.

First off, I have to quit work in my 28th week which is about the end of February.  However, the State of California provides disability insurance for pregnant women and women who must leave work due to pregnancy.  This will amount to over $1,000 per month.  On top of that I am closing an escrow with Joe, my boss, which will be for almost $8,000.  That money and the disability, which I will be able to get for 4 or more months will enable me to contribute the same monthly amount to the household budget as if I were working for 6 months.  We figure our expenses should go down with my not working too and I'm thinking about keeping Jillian home all summer, provided I have in-house help all summer.

Gordon's schooling should be complete just at the time the babies are due and so he'll be able to focus more on real estate and find a permanent job. Once he has a permanent position with a fire department, he will be earning upwards of $3,000 a month.  And if he can pull off a real estate transaction once every two or three months, we will be fine.  I have my broker's license and will be able to do a lot of the "crap" that he doesn't like to do from home.

On top of this, I am working on putting together a business I can conduct from our house.  Jim (the former husband) and I might do something together which could be pretty profitable for both of us.  We have both worked in the trust deed business in the past and are considering starting a business together.  One can easily buy and sell trust deeds from your home without much start-up money.  Anyway, we are in the talking-about-it stages right now.  I could always do word processing from my home and easily earn a $1,000 a month or more.

So see, there isn't anything to worry about.  We will be cutting back but it will be good for us.  I certainly don't want to be the cause of your high blood pressure please!

I will be nursing the babies and we are using cloth diapers entirely, so that will save us literally hundreds a month (diapers and formula would run about $100 each a month!)  Plus being home I will be better able to plan for dinners, instead of going out so often, and I'm hoping we'll have a great garden again.

I think this will be the plan for help when the babies are born, however, no real commitments have been made except for yours.  My Dad and his wife, Betty, might be able to come out the end of April when the babies are born.  Betty said she might be able to stay until my sister Sandy gets here.  Sandy would stay for some time but I don't know how long.  There might be a gap in between where I wouldn't have live-in help, but Rhonda and Katie have both said they will help.  Rhonda said she'd even spend the night.  Sandy's daughter, Lisa, might be able to work out spending all of July and most of August with us.  She is suppose to do some volunteer work this summer to help with college entrance.  She's checking with her counselor to see if working for us would suffice.  Then if you could come the middle of August and stay two months I'd have coverage for the first six months of their lives and by then I'd hope to have some sort of routine established!  Hopefully by the time you arrive they wouldn't need a night nursing, but because they will be smaller and probably weaker than Jillian, I doubt that will be the case.

This weekend we began the process of getting rid of everything in the house we don't really need or use.  I think we'll have a garage sale in the next few weeks. Our bedroom is now a combination office.  We moved the desk from the living room in and the computer.  Actually it looks just fine.  The ottoman and chair from our room I think will go in the babies room or possibly your room if I can work it out. We took the little dresser from Jillie's closet out and gave it back to Rhonda and Mark.  Now Jillie can get most all of her toys into her closet herself and keep her room neat and tidy.  She helped me clean her room and I think she likes it a lot.  Now she has room for all those Christmas toys!  Next weekend we're clearing out Gordon's office completely and bringing the crib in.  I think we'll put the bookcase in the living room in one of those odd places on either side of the fireplace.  And we've removed the side table from the family room and put it in your room and took the cheap little table with the table cloth apart and put it in storage.  That leaves room in the family room to add the play pen by the family room door when we need it.

I kept the curtains from Jillie's room at the condo and they will go better in the babies room than in her old room.  I'm going to order another set of bumpers and comforter the same as Jillie's for the other crib.  It is still in stock believe it or not.  The wall paper for the room will be cheap and we may need to touch up the  paint but that's no big deal.  Then we'll be done.  Actually, the house looks less crowded already and I think the space requirement will be just fine. 

On Saturday my friend Pam and her little girl Jessie, came down and Rhonda and Marie and Jillie and I went to see a marching band parade on Main Street.  Later Gordon, Jillie and I went to Tyler's Halloween birthday party.  Jillie makes a great Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Jim bought her a little basket and her Toto dog (formerly Jacques) fit in just right.  She will wear her costume to school on Wednesday for a big Halloween costume parade and, of course, out trick-or-treating on Wednesday night.  She will be a nut for the next month devouring all that candy.  I don't look forward to it.

I guess that's all for now.  I just wanted you not to worry about Gordon and I.  We are both bright and competent and will work things out one way or another.

We are all looking forward to seeing you in December.  I'm really glad you'll be here for Christmas.  It makes our Christmas so much more special.  See you then.

Love from Sharon

P.S.  Just popped home for lunch to see Gordon and Jillie.  Gordon got word that he passed the Castro Valley fire test.  He must take the physical ability test this Saturday.  If he passes that, he's guaranteed an interview.  Castro Valley has 6 positions available.  I think Gordon's chances are pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment