Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Journey: the Beginning

Today, Sunday August 28,  I did not sleep well.  I set the alarm for 5:00a.m.  I woke up at 1:20; I woke up at 2:02;  I woke up at 3 something.  Finally at 4:22a.m. I got up and disabled the 5 a.m. alarm.  What's the point?

I began our Fall vacation/journey today.  My first leg is all on my own.  San Francisco to Washington Dulles to visit my family.  I was last here in February this year when Jillian moved into her new apartment and I was able to come to Virginia, see my parents and most of my family, and move some of Dad's belongings to Jillian in New York.  Of course there was the blizzard of 2011 to contend with at the time.

Coincidentally, this year, there was just an earthquake and a hurricane on the east coast for this "planned" trip!  WTH!   Is this an omen?

Anyway my day began by checking my email for updates from Continental, which, by the way has merged with United to become one mega-massive, take-your-money-and-run organization!  I'm now on a booked-through-Continental United flight into Dulles and it's departing 45 minutes late.  That's ok.

When I finally board the massive aircraft I notice the, shall we say, unseasoned flyers.  Why do people insist on blocking an entire aisle trying to fit their too many pieces of luggage into the overhead bins?  All the while announcements are being made to find your seat; step out of the aisle and let others around message blaring on the speaker system so we can take off on time.  The idiots don't seem to hear or, don't care.

The next thing I notice is that children of a certain age have no control over the level of their cute little voices!  Everything must be said as LOUD AS POSSIBLE AS FREQUENTLY AS POSSIBLE!  And,  three, parents are powerless over their children!

My flight was relatively non-descript.  I read my Kindle.  I watched a couple of TV shows.  Snoozed.  I ate my pre-packed PB&J and pear and had a hot tea and later a diet coke.

Upon arrival I casually made my way to baggage claim and waited the requisite hour and 10 minutes for my baggage.  Then I caught the shuttle bus to the Hertz rental company for my car.  Upon arrival there I quickly realize the many, many, many people who could not get into New York or New Jersey this weekend due to Irene, which by the way, is my Mother's name and part of the reason for my visit, are now trying to rent cars to drive up the eastern seaboard!  The rental car company is mobbed.  Literally mobbed.  Hundreds of people and millions of bags of luggage adorn the ususally quiet Hertz car rental hub.   I had to have been 100th in line.  Called my sister to come get me.  Screw this.

Many glasses of red wine and a LOT of fabulous conversation and yummy food later....I'm here; relaxed and writing and happy to have this day behind me.

Day one complete and ready for day two.

Tomorrow Sandy and I will drive up to see my brother and sister-in-law, Paul and Marcia, and go visit my mommy, Irene. 

We shall see what a new day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment